‘Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.’
We are looking for individuals who can demonstrate potential and show strong commitment. In order to apply for a place on School Direct with us from September 2017, applicants must have:
- Honours degree: a 2.1 UK undergraduate degree or a recognised equivalent qualification preferable
- A GCSE grade C or above in English and mathematics or a recognised equivalent qualification
- A GCSE grade C or above in a science if you are applying to teach 3-7, 5-11 or key stage 2/3 (ages 7–14)
- Passed the national English and Maths Skills Tests by 1st June 2017
- Some paid or voluntary experience in a school classroom with a potential to teach letter from the school, demonstrating insight into teaching and learning
- A personal statement submitted with your application
All places offered are contingent on successful applicants also meeting the ‘suitability’ (DBS) and ‘fitness to teach’ (mental and physical health) requirements.
If you studied outside of the UK, you should visit the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are of an equivalent level to UK GCSEs, A levels and an undergraduate degree.
The School Direct Training Programme focuses on developing teaching skills. You should have a strong understanding of the subject you wish to teach before you start training. If your degree subject does not link closely to your chosen teaching subject, it is recommended that you undertake a subject knowledge enhancement course before you begin training.
Please note that all candidates applying for initial teacher training (ITT) courses are required to have passed the literacy and numeracy professional skills tests before starting teacher training.
Many Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a teacher are answered on the following site: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/faqs/becoming-a-teacher.aspx
If you would like to discuss the DTSA Schools Direct programme please contact email@example.com